Listed below is a selection of events planned for International Overdose Awareness Day 2013
Location: Lorraine Hewitt House
12/14 Brighton House
In the morning we will have an information stall on the ground floor at LHH with information on all types of overdose but primarily opiate overdose. We will provide lots of nice food for everyone. It will be run by people who use drugs for people who use drugs and we hope to empower each other.
In the afternoon we will be running overdose awareness and take-home naloxone training with attendees getting a take-home naloxone kit and £10 cash expenses for their time. The training will also be run by people who use drugs. We did this last year and it was a big success and we are hoping to go bigger this year.The training session will be limited to 12 people, all opiate injectors. Last year we spoke to over 100 people about International Overdose Awareness Day at LHH and we expect much more this time around.
Time: All Day on the 30th of August
Phone: 0207 7370099
Martin McCusker <email@example.com>
New South Wales
- Kings Cross, NSW
Overdose Awareness Day
Location: 66 Darlinghurst Road Kings Cross
Events are for clients of the service while using the service only. During August we have had overdose quizes using a prize wheel, overdose response activites using a mannequin and posting of messages to friends lost on a memory tree.
Phone: 9360 1191
Contact: Marguerite White
- Darlinghurst, NSW
Location: The O’Brien Centre St Vincent’s Hospital. 390 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst NSW 2010
Consumer lead discussion group on overdose and how it has impacted on their lives. Consumer feedback for an overdose prevention card being produced by St Vincent’s Homeless Health Service.
Contact: Marley Headington
- Malabar, NSW
Long Bay Correctional Centre Health Centres, Anzac Parade, Malabar NSW 2036
Long Bay Health Centres-supporting our patients. Drug & Alcohol Clinical Nurse Specialist shall be providing badges and inservices to staff to promote education and awareness to facilitate better outcomes. Cake shall be provided
Time: Friday August 31st 12.30pm
Phone: page 02 9937 2506
Contact: kylie lombardo firstname.lastname@example.org
- Morisset, NSW LMRSC
Location: 1 Russell Road Morisset 2264
Making awareness of overdose day…Just talking with clients and staff about it.
Time: All day
Contact: Samantha Bramall
- Surrey Hills, NSW
Overdose Awareness Day Langton Centre
Location: The Langton Centre. 591 South Dowling Street, Surry Hills Sydney NSW 2011
Information and giving badges
Time: 0800 – 1300
Contact: Marie Coughlan
- Muswellbrook, NSW
UHDAS Inc. OAD
Location: 202 Bridge st Muswellbrook NSW
Ladies luncheon – silver theme – OD education – sexual health info – CPR -Remember and pay tribute to people who have lost their lives to overdose.
Time: 10am – 2pm
Contact: Libby George
- Bowen Hills, Qld
International Overdose Awareness Day
Location: QuIHN& QuIVAA, 1 Hamilton Street, Bowen Hills Qld 4006
Tree planting – as a remeberance ceremony. Then take part in a high tea & refreshments.
Time: 11 am
Phone: (07) 3620 8111
Contact: Kylie Lonergan
- Burleigh Heads, Qld Overdose Day Remembrance Event Location: 14 Park Avenue, Burleigh Heads (small community hall), QLD 4220, Australia QuIHN are holding a remembrance event on Thursday, 30th August from 10am – 2pm with guest speakers, entertainers, show bags and give aways. Balloons will be released at 12.30 in Justins Park followed by a bbq. Time: 10 am – 2 pm Thursday, August 30 Phone: 07 55207900 Contact: Tegan Nuckey email@example.com
- Bundaberg Queensland Location: Hinkler Central, 16 Maryborough Street Bundaberg, and Sugarland Shoppingtown, 115-119 Takalvan Street BundabergType of Event: Awareness Campaign
Time: 8:30 – 5:30pm August 31
Phone: 07 4151 5402
Contact: Fiona firstname.lastname@example.org
- Caboolture, QLD Overdose Awareness DayLocation: Caboolture Needle Syringe Program Caboolture Community Health Centre McKean Street Caboolture Qld 4510
We are giving away badges and information on overdose.
Time: All week
Phone: (07) 5433 8131
Contact: Tracy Ebert/Shavarn Brown
- Kippa Ring, QLD Overdose Awareness Day DisplayLocation: Redcliffe Community Health Centre 181 Anzac Avenue, Kippa Ring Queensland
Information board & badge distribution in reception foyerTime: Monday 27 – Friday 31 August, 2012
Phone: 07 38976300
Contact: Brian Brincat
- Bundaberg, QLD Bundaberg Overdose Awareness DayLocation: Margaret Rose Centre 1st Floor 312 Bourbong Street BUNDABERG, QLD. 4670
Candle lighting and Badges
Time: 8.30 am – 4.30 pm
Phone: 04150 2892
Contact: Cheryl Nevin
- Millicent, SA Staff education sessionLocation: Millicent and Districts Hospital and Health Service Salts Road Millicent SA 5280
Information display Thursday and Friday Staff education session
Time: Thursday 30 August 2012, 2-3pm
Phone: 08 87330100
Contact: Nancy Gilboy
- Glenorchy, TAS Memorial service with a rose plantingLocation: 406 Main Road Glenorchy Tas 7173
Anglicare Tasmania Inc will be holding a memorial service which will include a rose planting followed by morning tea. This is for family members, friends and significant others who have lost a loved one through an overdose.
Phone: 03 6273 5855
Contact: Sharmaine Hudson
- Glenorchy, Tasmania Campbell Town, TAS
Campbell Town Health & Community Service Awareness DayLocation: 70 High Street Campbell Town, Tasmania.
A information display is available for viewing from the 27th – 31st of August. An awareness day will be held on the 31st of August, with staff and community members encourgaed to wear silver, along with awareness badges that will be handed out on the day.
Phone: 6381 3382
Contact: Bonnie Hoban-Whyle
- Launceston, Tasmania Launceston
Salvos Overdose Remembrance Day Location: Salvation Army, 111 Elizabeth Street, Launceston 7250 Type of Event: We will be holding a BBQ and a silver balloon release. Time: Friday 31st August at 12 – 1.30pm Phone: 03 63237500 Contact: Sharon Peck email@example.com
- Glenorchy, Tasmania International Overdose Awareness Day Information Seminar: Naloxone, Availability and Access Location: Glenorchy Civic Centre, Cooper Street, Glenorchy TAS 7010 The Alcohol, Tobacco and other Drugs Council (Tas) invite you to attend the International Overdose Awareness Day Information Seminar on Friday 31 August. Associate Professor Paul Dietze, from the Burnet Insititute will provide a presentation about Naloxone availaibility and access. A local panel of experts will then address some of the issues. Time: Friday 3st August 10.30am -1.00pm Phone: 03 6224 7780 Contact: Amanda Street firstname.lastname@example.org
- St Helens Tasmania Location: Neighbourhood House 25 Circassian St, St Helens Tasmania Over The Top Dress Up Day Time: August 31 all day 8.30am to 3.30pm Phone: 0408855293 or 0363761134 Contact: Jane Tippett email@example.com
Official International Overdose Awareness Day Launch August 21
The official Australian launch of International Overdose Awareness Day is taking place at Gateway Community Health in Albury-Wodonga on August 21 because drug overdoses are not just a ‘big city’ concern.
At the same time, Anex is bringing together health, ambulance, police and other related agencies for an urgent round table seminar on fentanyl misuse and fatal overdose.
Professor Bob Batey AM: Among other prominent positions, Bob was formerly Clinical Advisor to NSW Health in Addiction Medicine. He still works regularly in hepatitis treatment in the Albury area, and has long been concerned about fentanyl misuse.
Bernadette Williams: The tragedy of fentanyl overdose was brought home to Bernadette when her mother died of one last year. Bernadette is from Albury.
Read more about this event here: www.anex.org.au/what-we-do/events/fentanyl
- Melbourne Central Business District The Living Room Remembers Location: Hosier Lane (outside the Youth Projects/Living Room PHS building) 7-9 Hosier Lane, Melbourne. Hosier Lane is situated above Swanston Street and below Russell Street. It runs between Flinders Lane and Flinders Street. Overdose Awareness Day gives Living Room clients, staff and members of the public an opportunity to express sorrow and grief over the damage done to lives through the misuse of alcohol and other drugs and to remember loved ones affected by drug and alcohol misuse. There will be an open microphone with music, songs and poems to read out or the chance just to get up and say something in remembrance of loved ones who have died or been hurt through alcohol and drug use. People will be able to attach messages of remembrance to flowers and leave them in Hosier Lane. The opportunity will exist for further conversation and referral to appropriate counselling services for people who experience strong feelings and/or memories as a result of the remembrance ceremony. This event is open to the public, clients and staff from other agencies. All are welcome to attend the remembrance afternoon at the Living Room PHS.
Program: Short half hour presentation MC’d by Sally Finn. Speakers include: Councillor from the City of Melbourne, Professor Jon Currie, (St. Vincent’s hospital, centre for Addiction Medicine) and personal story from Narelle Hassett. Tea, coffee and muffins for gold coin donation. Time: 11:30am – 4:30 pm, Friday 31st August Please contact Danaë Squires, Community Development Worker at the Living Room PHS on 03 9945 2100 if you have any queries. Contact: Danae firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 9945 2100 Contact: Sally Finn email@example.com Phone: 0413427144
- St Kilda
Location: The Salvation Army, St Kilda Bridge Chapel 12a chapel st St Kilda
Memorial service followed by Barbecue
Contact: Alison Platt
- Federation Square, Melbourne
Overdose Awareness Day Short Film Premiere
Federation Square, Corner Swanston and Flinders Streets, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Type of Event: See a short film premiere on the Big Screen at Federation Square for International Overdose Awareness Day.
Phone: 03 86551900
Contact: Rebecca Riley
- South Melbourne
Location: 52 Haig Street South Melbourne
FOR RESIDENTS ONLY Hanover wil be holding an afternoon tea with residents. Everyone will have an opportunity to remember friends and family through an art project on the day.
Phone: 03 9699 4566
- Ferntree Gully
Knox Community Health Service
Location: 1063 Burwood Highway, Ferntree Gully 3156
Provide info Give out badges to staff and clients/carer givers
Contact: Cassie Adams
- Geelong Overdose Awareness Day
Location: Barwon Health Drugs and Alcohol Service 40 Little Malop Street Geelong 3220
Badge Giveaway, information and education.
Invite only – Education session by Harm Reduction Victoria on safer using/overdose awareness.
Time: All day – 12 – 2pm
Phone: 03 5273 4000
Contact: Craig Harvey
- Coburg Community Morning Tea
Location: UnitingCare ReGen 26 Jessie St Coburg 3058
Morning Tea with individual reflections by those affected by overdose.
Contact: Paul Aiken
- St Kilda Overdose awareness at Gatehouse
Location: 36 Greeves St St kilda Vic 3182
Giving out of Pins and an opportunity to talk of loved ones lost to overdose. Also some Yummy food hopefully.
Time: 12 – 5pm
Overdose Day Badges
Location: Ovens and King Community Health Service 90-100 Ovens St Wangaratta Victoria
Free Overdose Day Awareness Badges
Time: All Day 31st August
Robinvale District Health Services
Location: 128 – 132 Latje Road, Robinvale 3549 Victoria\
Promotional event:Promote Public awareness by wearing badges, information display, distribution of overdose brochure including at each NSP transaction.
Phone: 03 50 518160
Contact: Lisa Taggert
- Shepparton, FREE Badge & Overdose Info GiveawaysLocation: Primary Care Connect, 399 Wyndham Street Shepparton VIC 3630
Drop in event. Come and get your FREE badge & pamphlet with tips on how to recognise an overdose. Everyone welcome.Time: All day
Phone: 03 58 233 200
Contact: Kelly Wells
- Richmond Town Hall, Richmond, Melbourne Yarra Drug and Health Forum Location: Meeting Room, Level 2, Richmond Town Hall, Bridge Road, Richmond Stigma and Discrimination: The Added Layer Families Experience When a Loved One Dies’ Please join us on August 31st for a special event that will highlight the impact of stigma and discrimination on families who have had to deal with the loss of a loved one due to overdose. Video Presentation: ‘Afternoons with Max Marshall’ maxmarshallmovie.com Speakers will include:
Sally Finn – Salvation Army and founder of IOAD
Jenny Kelsall – Executive Officer Harm Reduction Victoria
Time: 9.30am – 10.30am August 31 Morning tea will be provided Phone: 0424193857 Contact: Greg Denham firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Promotion Workshop for NSP Clients
Location: Workshop will be held at Castlemaine District Community Health; 13 Mostyn Street, Castlemaine
Workshop for injecting drug users in the Mount Alexander Shire
Phone: 03 5479 1000
Contact: Fiona Martyn
- Melbourne, Victoria
140 Grange Rd
SHARC wishes to acknowledge the impact overdose has had on both the SHARC community and the wider community in general.
SHARC invites anyone whose lives have been impacted by the loss of a loved one due to substance use to a reflection opportunity. A light lunch will be shared
Time: 11am-1pm August 31st, 2012 at SHARC, 140 Grange Rd, Carnegie
RSVP to 95731700 email@example.com by 24/08/2012Phone: 9573 1784
Contact: John Wynde firstname.lastname@example.org
Eastern Metropolitan Regional Remembrance Event
Location: Ringwood Lake, Maroondah Highway entry (opposite Larissa Avenue)
Type of event: Remembrance event followed by BBQ lunch. The Primary NSP based at Whitehorse Community Health Service is proud to host this event as part of Overdose Awareness Day for friends, family, community groups and services. This is a chance for family and friends to grieve openly for those they have lost, and for those in the wider community to come together to commit to raising awareness and reducing stigma about overdose in all its forms.
If you, your service or a service user thinks there is a specific way they could be involved in the event (speaking, a reading, an reflective activity etc), please make contact with me. We look forward to sharing with you on the day.
Time: Friday 31st August 2012 12pm for ceremony,Contact: RSVP email@example.com or 0430 524749
- St Kilda
The Bridge Centre Overdose Memorial Service Location: Salvation Army Bridge Chapel, 12 Chapel St, St Kilda Type of Event: Memorial Service followed by a Barbecue Time: Friday 31st August at 11 am Phone: 0487830562 Contact: Alison Platt firstname.lastname@example.org
Westcare – Overdose Awareness Day BBQ
34 Devonshire Rd, Sunshine, Vic 3020
Time: Friday 31st August 2012 12:30pm
Contact: Danielle Tedesco email@example.com
Harry Unter Rehabilitaion Centre
Location: The Chapel Harry Hunter Rehabilitation Centre 2498 Albany H/way, Gosnells WA 6110
Closed event to staff and clients Commemoration and rememberance at community meeting.
Time: 8.30 am
Phone: 08 9398 2077
Contact: Paul Beardsley
Display and Badge Distribution
Location: North Metro Community Drug Service: 26,Dugdale St, Warwick, Perth, Western Australia and North Metro Community Drug Service, Lotteries House Joondalup, Perth,Western Australia.
A display at both sites in reception areas.The distribution of badges and information to clients and badges for all staff to wear on the day.
Time: Ongoing/31August 2012
Phone: 08 9246 6767
Contact: Julie Kendall
- Albany, Overdose Awareness Week Albany
Location: Population Health Great Southern, 125 Greay St West Albany WA 6330
Awareness raising with NSP clients.
Time: Monday August 27 – Friday August 31
Phone: 0898 427504
Contact: Amber Giblett
Overdose Awareness Day distribution of badges and information
Location: 3/145 Proudlove Parade Albany 6330 Time: 8:30am – 4:30pm
Contact: Gemma Bennett
- Mt Lawley
Drug and Alcohol Office, 7 Field Street, Mt Lawley, WA 6050. Poster display and badges available
for raising awareness.
Namaste Book available to record a tribute or memorial to those lost. These books will be located at HEPWA, WASUA and WAAC Fremantle
Time: All Day Friday August 31st
Phone: 08 9471 0449
Contact: Grace Oh firstname.lastname@example.org
- San Francisco, California Here are some announcements about stuff Harm Reduction Coalition is doing in San Francisco for OD Day this year:
There will be a memorial march/celebration of life procession on August 31st and we will be inviting folks all throughout the month of August to remember friends and family lost to overdose by writing their name and something about them on paper flowers that will be carried in the march and will eventually become part of a memorial installation.
MANUAL LABOR! CUT PAPER FLOWERS TUESDAY JULY 24th 3-5PM at 117 6th Street: Come for strong coffee, good company, and help us cut paper flowers on Tuesday July 24th 3-5PM at 117 6th street (door on the left)
TALK TO FOLKS: COMMUNITY OUTREACH AT EXCHANGES AND OTHER SITES ABOUT OVERDOSE AWARENESS DAY: OPTIONAL ORIENTATION/Training TUESDAY JULY 31st 3-4:30PM at 117 6th Street. Volunteer to be at an exchange site (and other sites) talking with folks about overdose awareness day, inviting them to the march/procession on August 31st, inviting them to share stories about their experiences with overdose and inviting folks to fill out a paper flower for a loved one. If you would like to do this AND would like a little training on chatting people up about this issue (outreach basics, holding space for someone to talk about overdose, soliciting memorial flowers, Overdose 101, tips for listening and taking care of yourself) please join Pauli Gray and Terry Morris TUESDAY JULY 31st 3-4:30PM at 117 6th Street. Sound good? Just show up or call Terry Morris 415 368 4666 or email email@example.com with any questions.MARCH! On August 31st. We will be meeting at the SF Drug Users union 149 Turk Street (time and march route to be announced) bring posters, pictures of loved ones, paper flowers–we want our loved ones to be remembered in the most beautiful, powerful and colorful way possible!
We will also be having some local radio stations devoting some shows to the issue of overdose, and we’ll be doing some PSAs for them to run on the day.
Will post any other further developments.
DOPE Project Manager
Harm Reduction CoalitionPhone: 510-444-6969 ext. 16
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.harmreduction.org Facebook: www.facebook.com/DOPEProject Follow the DOPE Project on Twitter @DOPEProject
- Santa Clarita
Candlelight Vigil for Overdose Awareness Day
Hosted by Action Family Counseling website www.actionfamilycounseling.org
Location: The Action Family Zone 20655 Soledad Canyon Road. Suite 25 Santa Clarita, CA. 91355
Phone: 661 259-5015
Conact: Bob Sharits
- Palm Springs
Gathering To Remember
Location: Tahquitz and N. Palm Canyon, Palm Srpings, California. USA
Gathering to remember, hosted by Broken-No-More and GRASP.
Time: 6:30pm – 8:30pm August 31
Contact: Denise Cullen
- Laguna Niguel
Location: The Rancho Niguel Club or (The Club) On Rancho Niguel Road in Laguna Niguel,Ca Type of Event: Candlelight Vigil / Awareness in honor of our loved ones lost to an accidental overdose.
Time: 7:00 pm
Contact: Jodi Barber
- Greater Sacramento
GRASP (Grief Recovery After A Substance Passing) Greater Sacramento plans an evening BBQ and baseball game where we hope to bring together families of loved ones lost and the community. After the game and food we will be doing a balloon release. We will also contact individuals at our local Salvation Army Loaves and Fishes to discuss overdose, hand out pins and bring awareness. Last year, we banded together and marched around our State’s Capitol and ventured in to pass out IOAD pins to our state representatives.
Time: to be arranged
Phone: (916) 420 8940
Contact: Hillary Moyle email@example.com 1440 Broadway Suite 510
Oakland, CA 94612
- Santa Barbara, WALK and CANDLELIGHT VIGIL Location: Gather before the march 5PM at Community Partners Center 15 E. Carrillo St
7PM meet at the corner of State St and Sola St to light our candles and walk down State St en mass to Paseo Nuevo Mall for a Candlelight Vigil.
Sponsored by Families Act ( Family Advocates For Compassionate Treatment ) and concerned community organizations.
Time: Friday 31st August 7 PM walk Pre meeting 5PM
Phone: 805 6371339
Contact: Suzanne Riordan firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: The Gazebo at Jillson Square Park, Willimantic, CT.
International Overdose Awareness Day Vigil. The Windham Harm Reduction Coalition Invites you to dress in silver, and join us for a candle lit vigil in Jillson Square Park. We will walk from Jillson Square in remembrance up Main Street to WHRC’s office. Participants will have the opportunity to place an offering on a memorial which will be displayed in the community.
Dinner will be served at WHRC’s office.
Overdose prevention kits will be available.
Time: Friday 31st August 5:30 PM
Contact: Chris Heneghan email@example.com
- Dewark, GRASP (Grief Recovery After a Substance Passing) /DE IOAD Event Location: The corner of Rt. 896 and Main Street, Newark, DE. 19713 USA. The University of Delaware Campus. Candlelight Vigil including passing out IOAD badges and information on Overdose Awareness.
Included above will be information on harm reduction with a focus on Naloxone usage and availability.
Encouragement of citizens to become involved in the public discourse regarding this terrible epidemic.
We will end with a lighted balloon release with the names of lost loved ones.
Go to www.grasphelp.org for events at other state chapters. Time: Fridat 31st August 8:00pm to 10:00pm Phone: 302-598-6296 Contact: Liz Perkins Grasp@martyperkins.com
1st Annual Atlanta International Overdose Awareness Day Candlelight Vigil
Location: Piedmont Park – 12th Street Entrance
Candlelight Vigil – Please join the Atlanta Harm Reduction Coalition for a Candlelight Vigil on Friday, August 31, 2012, at the 12th Street Entrance to Piedmont Park (beside Willy’s). We will have educational materials available from 7:45 – 8:00, and the event will be held from 8:00 – 9:00 pm. Rain or shine.
We recommend taking MARTA or parking in the SAGE Parking Facility (all info available at www.piedmontpark.org under ‘Visit The Park’ – allow time as it’s about 10 minute walk from either place). Please RSVP to the Facebook event at www.facebook.com/events/
Time: 7:45 – 9:00 pm
Contact: Tori Galloway
- Schaumberg, Overdose Day Candlelight Vigil Location: Roosevelt University Schaumburg Campus, Front Rotunda. Address: 1400 Roosevelt Blvd., Schaumburg, IL We will be holding a candlelight vigil on the eve of International Overdose Awareness Day as a solemn remembrance of the lives lost. Time: 6:30pm August 30 Phone: 773-865-3104 Contact: Kathie Kane-Willis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carpentersville Illinois Overdose Awareness Day Location: 4-way stop at the corners of Washington Street and Maple Avenue in Old Carpentersville, 60110 Type of Event: The day will start off at 7am by handing out silver ribbons to students attending Dundee Crown High School in Carpentersville, IL USA There will be a peaceful roadside rally where we will be holding signs of our loved ones and messages of awareness. We will wear silver, the symbolic color for Overdose Awareness, along with the silver ribbons. We will also hand out silver ribbons to officals and the Govenor of our state to wear on August 31st in support of awareness of overdoses. Time: Friday 31st August 4:00 pm ~ 6:30 pm Phone: 847.428.4497 Contact: Terri Dudar email@example.com
- Peru Starting point is Fourth Street Bakery (1255 4th Street Peru IL 61317) and walking to Water Street in Peru IL 61354. Awareness and Prevention Walk will end with a balloon release in memory of our loved ones lost, loved and still struggling with an addictive illness!
Time: Friday 31st August 6 pm
Contact: Lori Gisler Brown firstname.lastname@example.org
- Perry Hall
Daniel Carl Torsch Foundation – Overdose Prevention and Awareness Day Location: Camp Chapel united Methodist Church 5000 E. Joppa Road (corner of Honeygo & Joppa Roads) Perry Hall, Maryland 21128
Candle light vigil with music, poems, reading of names of those who have died as a result of an overdose, lighting of wish lanterns and moment of silence. Time: 7:00pm-8:30pm Phone: 443-554-6150 Contact: Toni Torsch email@example.com
Boston Overdose Day Vigil Location: Copley Square, Dartmouth Street Side, Boston MA An event to commemorate those who have lost their lives to drug overdose, recognize those still in the struggle and learn how to prevent overdose. This event will offer the opportunity to learn how to use and obtain Narcan to save a life, learn to recognize the signs of overdose and how to reverse it. The event will also celebrate the passage of the Good Samaritan Bill. Time: 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm August 30 Phone: 617-543-3976 Contact: Sarah Mackin firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lynn – Lynn Commons Gazebo – The Gazebo is located just down the street from the Lynn Public Library.
The 8th Annual Overdose Vigil will be a candlelight vigil to remember people we have lost to overdose.
Time: Friday 31st August 8:00pm
From: Mary Wheeler email@example.com
- Gloucester Massachusetts Flag Pole Area, Cut Bridge Stacy Boulevard Gloucester, Ma. 01930
Overdose vigil on August 31st. Join us in coming together to remember those we have lost to overdose and shed light on this ongoing tragedy.
Dedication of Luminaries, speakers, music, lighting of the candles, Reading of the Names.
Rain date Sun. Sept 2nd
Organized by Community Members Who Care
Time: Friday August 31st 7-9pm
Contact: Kathy Day firstname.lastname@example.org
- North Hampton
Tapestry Health Overdose Vigil
Location: Pulaski Park, Main St Northampton, Ma 01060
September 28th, 2012 Join us to celebrate the memory of those lost to fatal overdose. We will be celebrating the lives of those we cherish and to remember them as people, not addicts. Silver badges and candles will be provided.
Time: 7:00 pm-9:00pm
Phone: 413-586-0130 Contact: Jess Tilley
Second Annual Minneapolis-St. Paul Overdose Awareness Day Candlelight Vigil
Loring Park Perennial Garden, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
Candlelight vigil to honor and remember those who lost their lives due to an overdose — whether prescription painkillers or illicit drugs. It will also be a time to celebrate those whose lives were saved by the administration of Narcan.
Those who wish to speak will be welcomed to do so.
Time: Friday 31st August 7:30 p.m.
Phone: 612 548 4744
Contact: Lee Hertel, Program Director, Morpheus Project email@example.com
Overdose Awareness Day Rally
Location: 1 City Square, Warren, Mi 48093 On Van Dyke, north of 12 Mile, corner of Civic Center Drive and Van Dyke.
Overdose Awareness Day Rally – to bring awareness to the community, the National Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has declared OVERDOSE a health epidemic.
Time: 6:30pm – 9:00pm
Contact: Pamela Moloci
- Missouri Valley Park
Stop The Heroin Valley Park In Memory Of Jesse Colt Pfister And All Those That Have Been Lost
Location: Valley Park Missouri, at Highway 141 and Marshall Rd
Anti Heroin Rally
Contact: Geri Reid
- Moravian Falls, White House Drug Policy Director Gil Kerlikowske speaks on overdose prevention Location: Project Lazarus, NC Community Care, 5368 NC Hwy 16 S Moravian Falls, NC 28654 Public remarks and roundtable discussion Time: 9:00 – 10:30 am August 22 Phone: +12023957225 Contact: Cameron Hardesty firstname.lastname@example.org
Street Based Overdose Prevention Workshops|
Location: Durham, NC
North Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition (NCHRC) will be conducting street based overdose prevention workshops in the East Durham community. Workshops will include how to recognize and reverse drug overdoses, how to call 911 without being arrested, how to administer Naloxone/Narcan, and how to advocate to get Naloxone/Narcan access.
Contact: Robert Childs
- Fairless Hills
Overdose Prevention and Education Training
Location: United Way of Bucks County, 413 Hood Boulevard, Fairless Hills, PA 19030
On August 30th from 4:00pm to 5:00pm In observance of International Overdose Awareness Day Pennsbury LYFT: Community Prevention Coalition will be offering a free training open to all LYFT coalition members and employees of United Way of Bucks County, and community members. The training will help train persons on how to respond to an overdose as well as train others on how to respond to an overdose.
Time: 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Phone: (215) 949-1660, ext. 104
Contact: Tim Philpot
Overdose Education and Prevention Education
Location: The Council of Southeast Pennsylvania, Inc, 252 West Swamp Rd Suite #12 Doylestown PA, 18901
On August 31st from 10:00am to 11:00am In observance of International Overdose Awareness Day The Council of Southeast Pennsylvania, Inc. will be offering a free training open to all members of the community, employees/volunteers of recovery support organizations and Law Enforcement. The training will help train persons on how to respond to an overdose as well as train others on how to respond to an overdose.
Time: 10:00 am
Contact: David Fialko
- Kirby Park, International Overdose Awareness Day balloon release Location: Kirby Park, Kingston, Pa. 18701 Time: Aug 31- 7pm to dusk Phone: 570 991 7199 Contact: Carol Coolbaugh email@example.com Kingston Pennsylvania Kingston Pennsylvania International Overdose Awareness Day event Location: Kirby Park, Kingston, Pa. 18701 Type of Event: Balloon release Time: Aug 31 between 7pm and dusk Phone: 570 991 7199 Contact: Carol Coolbaugh firstname.lastname@example.org
- Knoxville, Tennessee
Knoxville Remembers: Vigil for International Overdose Awareness Day
Location: St. James Episcopal Church, 1101 North Broadway, Knoxville, TN 37917
An evening vigil and candelighting for friends and family to grieve together, support one another, and remember those they’ve lost to overdose.
Time: 8pm EST
Contact: Betsy Allison Tant
- Fower Mound, Texas
“Lighting The Way” International Overdose Awareness Day Location: Parker Square, 1500 Cross Timbers Road, Flower Mound, TX 75028 Type of Event: We will have a candlelight memorial and walk to bring much needed attention to this horrid epidemic. Time: Friday 31st August 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm Phone: 972-467-7704 Contact: Kathy O’Keefe kathy@WTF-WinningTheFight.org
- Waterloo, Ontario
Local media are working up some stories on the issues of accidental overdose.
A number of events are planned for later this fall since 31 August is awkward timing here. We will release a major report on “barriers to calling 9-1-1 (emergency) during an overdose incident”. 450 people were surveyed. fear of criminal justice system was identified as a major barrier since police routinely attend 911 OD calls. due out mid-September. Those pins are fantastic and are now being distributed to recipients of Overdose training from our local group- Preventing Overdose Waterloo Wellington.
Phone: 519-575-4757 ext. 5016 (until July 2013)
- Toronto, Ontario
277 Victoria St. Toronto Ontario
Naloxone trainings are scheduled throughout the city on this day.
Time: 10am – 4pm
Contact: Chantel Marshall
- Ottawa, Ontario
Human Rights Monument (Elgin St@ Lisgar St) 11:30-12:30pm
Campaign to raise awareness and make demands for change.
Guest speakers who will share their support for policy change as well as shared personal experiences by those who have been directly impacted by overdose.
We will be giving away Overdose Awareness T-shirts created by peers to those who attend.
Time: Friday August 31st 11:30-12:30
Phone: (613) 569-3488 ext 2101
Contact: Dayna Barnes email@example.com
- Victoria BC, Canada
Location: Corner of Quadra and Pandora, Victoria BC, Canada
A simple gathering to honour those we have lost to fatal overdose and raise awareness to prevent further overdoses.
Time: 10:00 AM
Contact: Heather Hobbs
- Brixton, London
OD info stall and OD&Naloxone training
Location: Lorraine Hewitt House. 12/14 Brighton Hse, Brixton SW9 8DG
In the morning we will have OD awareness and prevention stalls with info on Naloxone, safer injecting, alcohol poisoning, Benzos etc. We plan to run these stalls in Lorraine Hewitt Hse and Lambeth Harbour at the same time, with both stalls being run by people who use drugs. Along with info the stalls will have some lovely food available for everyone.
In the afternoon we are running an OD prevention & Take home Naloxone training session primarily for opiate injectors but people around injectors may take part if space available. At the end of the training everyone will get a Take Home Naloxone kit and £10 expenses. The training will be run by people who take drugs.
Time: All day
Phone: 0207 737 0099
Contact: Martin McCusker
Drugs Action launch new services in Aberdeen City 7 Hadden Street, Aberdeen, AB11 6NU Time: August 31 Phone: 01224 577120 Contact: Senga MacDonald firstname.lastname@example.org
Fife Overdose Awareness Radio Campaign
Location: Kingdom FM (Fife, Scotland) Local Radio Station Fife population 360,000
Type of Event: Radio Campaign to raise awareness of the signs of overdose and service provision
Time: six times per day between 6am and 9pm for one week
Phone: 08451 555 555 ext 446104
Location: Northern Horizons Turning Point Scotland 9 St Peter Street Peterhead AB42 1QB
Information and advice, naloxone information and training available. Staff acknowledge loss and provide support to those who wish company and support at this time
Phone: 01779 470490
1. Spread information about the International Overdose Awareness Day (Local media + our web site)
2. We are preparing info flyers containing information on the day and on overdose prevention methods and will distribute it (together with the silver badges) among drug users.
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact: Sasha Gurinova
- Kiev, Round table discussion dedicated to International Overdose Awareness Day Location: ICF “International HIV\AIDS Alliance in Ukraine” office, 5-a Dymytrova St,Kiev, 03680 Ukraine Time: August 20 Phone: +383619627 Contact: Antonina Zagrotska DA@DAmonitoring.net.ua
International Overdose Awareness Day 2012
Location: Central Jail Sajiwa (CJS) , Conference Hall, Imphal,Manipur,795001,India
Meeting, awareness, Education on overdose , IEC etc
Phone: +91 9436029233
Contact: L. Deepak Singh