Time: 06:30 pm
Location: Veterans Park
400 East Ave
Lockport, NY 14094
Name of Organisation: Lockport Overdose Awareness Rally
Contact: Sean Millard
Addiction does not discriminate. There is no face for addiction. With the world we live in today and the destruction of the opioid epidemic. Far too many families in this country and all over the world are being affected by overdose, including right here in Niagara, Orleans, Erie, & Genesee Counties.
Because of this, the need to raise awareness is greater than ever! On August 31st, which is International Overdose Awareness Day, rallies are being held all over the world, including right here in Lockport, NY. This started in Australia in 2001, and rallies have been held every August 31st since. This is the 4th annual Lockport International Overdose Awareness Rally. With the support of Independent Living of Niagara County and countless individuals & organizations, we will be out at Veterans Park on Monday August 31, 2020 at 6:30pm…. (Across from Eastern Niagara Hospital).
Addiction and Overdoses do not stop just because of Covid 19. In fact addiction and overdoses are on the rise. So we wanted to make sure the rally still went on, and give people a chance to remember and grieve their loved ones with other people feeling the same way. Due to covid 19 this years rally will only be 90 minutes and will look very different. We will maintain social distancing and will require masks. There will be no chairs, and no tents for organizations. No food being served.
This event will include:
• Speakers with a background in addiction.
• Information on facilitates and organizations specializing in addiction will be available.
• A remembrance table for photos of lost loved ones
• Candlelight Vigil (free flame-less candles will be provided) with a bell ringing ceremony at dusk for every life lost to overdose in Niagara and surrounding counties for 2019 and 2020.
• Purple shirts (the color of overdose awareness) will be sold $15.00 each or 2 for $25.00 or FREE if you lost a son or daughter. Proceeds will be donated to Addict to Addict Niagara (part of Independent Living of Niagara County).
If anyone has any questions, please email us at email@example.com. Anyone struggling with addiction or with a loved one suffering from addiction, we encourage you to come out and get additional information to help save a life.
HELP BREAK THE STIGMA!!!!